View Single Post
Old 4th March 2008, 11:02   #12
AnimalChin
DRINK CHEERWINE

AnimalChin has potential, we're not sure what forAnimalChin has potential, we're not sure what forAnimalChin has potential, we're not sure what forAnimalChin has potential, we're not sure what for
Re: Paging Dr. Swanson or anyone else who burns metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladjusted
That's not entirely true.

Little wire feeds that don't have enough current can fuck your shit up real quick.

A stick welder run by somebody who knows how to use it can weld anything. A $250 stick rig can weld 1/2" plate if it's chamfered and pre-heated (well maybe not half inch but fucking thick)

agreed all around, but it's just been my personal experience that stick welders are to be avoided if possible.

Quote:
And "easily get a MIG" means big buxxors.

Maybe I get the $150 cheapo wire feed and the $99 MIG kit for it.

i hope you do so you can tell me if it's worth it cause i want a little mig welder too.

Quote:
I rented a cheap wire feed one time and it didn't have enough current to do anything but make little blobs of weld. I have 220, why not get a 220 rig?

all i know is our little lincoln was a badass little wirefeeder. i can't answer for any other model as that was the only little one i used. as far as 220 goes, i just assumed that it would be 1) too expensive and 2) more power than you need since i am also assuming you are going to weld once every couple of years.

Quote:
Yes. My pa has a stick welder and a ox-acetylene setup. He weldered big boats for teh Navy in Brooklyn Naval yard.

$10 he can make better beads on 1/4" plate with a cheap stick welder than you will ever make w/ a MIG.

Of course years of practicing all fucking day might have something to do with that.

i'd bet you ten grand he could make a better weld than me using jb weld (lol hondo) than i could with a mig. i am no pro welder by any means.
AnimalChin is offline   Reply With Quote