View Single Post
Old 4th March 2008, 10:12   #11
maladjusted
Hellappotamus

maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.maladjusted tells the truth. It's not his fault.
Re: Paging Dr. Swanson or anyone else who burns metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalChin
i hear stick welders produce shitty ugly welds and are generally worthless these days since you can easily get a mig.

That's not entirely true.

Little wire feeds that don't have enough current can fuck your shit up real quick.

A stick welder run by somebody who knows how to use it can weld anything. A $250 stick rig can weld 1/2" plate if it's chamfered and pre-heated (well maybe not half inch but fucking thick)

And "easily get a MIG" means big buxxors.

Maybe I get the $150 cheapo wire feed and the $99 MIG kit for it.

Quote:
for your applications, you shouldn't ever need a 220v welder unless you're taco and you're building rock crawler trucks or repairing cranes.

I rented a cheap wire feed one time and it didn't have enough current to do anything but make little blobs of weld. I have 220, why not get a 220 rig?

Quote:
have you ever weldered?

Yes. My pa has a stick welder and a ox-acetylene setup. He weldered big boats for teh Navy in Brooklyn Naval yard.

$10 he can make better beads on 1/4" plate with a cheap stick welder than you will ever make w/ a MIG.

Of course years of practicing all fucking day might have something to do with that.
maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote