View Single Post
Old 5th October 2005, 12:14   #19
maladjusted

Re: Grand theft auto FLORIDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez075736
Do you have a recomendation or what i would be looking for in a shot gun for those purposes? Is there a good option that would also work for hunting if i ever chose to do that?

The 870 is a great defensive shotty, cheap and plentiful. Get one w/ a long shell tube (8 rounder),which is more than you'll need for hunting, but you just put a plug in it for bird hunting where you can only have 3 shells in the gun to be legal.

Mossberg makes a shotgun setup that you can buy w/ two barrels, a shorter "defensive" barrel, and a longer hunting barrel. That might be ideal for you if you'll really hunt with it. Most defensive guns that are inexpensive don't have chokes you can change, which you'll need for hunting.

Personally, I have a semi-auto 12 guage that I use for birds, it's got a lightweight aluminum receiver, pretty scroll work carved into it, shiny wood, and a longish barrel. I got it for ~$400

Then I have a $179 Winchester Defender pump w/ 7 round capacity, short barrel, and a pistol grip (with a stock, not just a pistol grip) for defending the house. I got it 'used' -- it was basically new with maybe 25 shells through it.

With as cheap as a good defensive gun can be (you can find used 870s for well under $200, as well as the aforementioned Winny and the Mossberg) you might afford to have a defense shotty and a hunting shotty?

I personally don't have much of a preference between the Remington, the Winny or the Mossberg, but the Remington is by far the most popular and available around here. The GLock of defensive shotguns.

Whatever you go with, make damn sure it works before you put it into service.