Gianni's Bar and Grille. Guns and shit. And Bourbon. And occasional side boob

Gianni's Bar and Grille. Guns and shit. And Bourbon. And occasional side boob (http://www.nobigtoe.com/index.php)
-   The Lt. Allen Swanson Project (http://www.nobigtoe.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   i almost punched a director and got fired (really i protested silently) (http://www.nobigtoe.com/showthread.php?t=18412)

AnimalChin 7th December 2008 09:30

i almost punched a director and got fired (really i protested silently)

This story is way too long and way too dumb but I already typed it so whatever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hired by a small private film company that I've done a lot of work with to get a crew for a small quick 2-day shoot down in a beach not too far. The crew was to consist of me, one paid pro, and "as many unpaid student interns you can get that don't suck." Great. Out of the 30 or so students in my film department, about 6-8 of them are worth a damn, and trying to get them to work for free 20-30 minutes away on a friday and saturday night outside in the cold would be tricky, but I got a good crew. In fact, as far as unpaid students go, I got a great crew.

I was to be in charge of the small crew on the set, and pretty much run the show. I had them work, while I taught them at the same time. They learned basic grip & electrical terms (C47, stinger, cube tap, jib, dolly, track, sandbags, hollywood arm, C-stand, knuckle, matte box, HDMI, XLR, blonde, redhead, HMI, ballast, bates plug, genny, etc.) as well as how to work properly, safely, and professionally on a 'real' set. All in all they were pretty happy to be there.

The original schedule was for friday and saturday 4PM-9PM. In the world of film the original schedule usually doesn't mean much. We were shooting some footage to put together a reel to send out to LA hoping to find a big budget and shoot the feature film in the spring. We needed to be on our best behavior and to really impress these people.

We arrived on set to set up a 28-foot jib - a manually operated crane with counter-weights on one end and a camera with a remote controlled 360-degree pan & tilt head on the other.

We finally wrapped at midnight (lol 9pm).

Call time for saturday got bumped to 2PM and I had to scramble and get everyone down to the set which I told the bosses would be "impossible" but we made it happen somehow.

The students were very professional the whole time, kicked ass at their jobs, and did so with smiles on their faces. Everyone was completely impressed (including the private client and the real local pros that got on late saturday) and I got hired on full time to run the crew for the private film studio here. I've been their go-to guy for a few months now, but this sealed the deal and I'll be on each and every project they do.

We wrapped saturday evening early, having the truck loaded and ready to go by 8PM. Sweet! The director wanted the entire crew (about 15 in total) to meet down the road at the Ocean Grille & Tiki Bar for dinner. Stoked. We all pile in vehicles and make it to the restaurant and get seated when the director (who had been pretty cool) stands up and shouts "everyone has ten dollars for their meal tab!" to which I kind of giggled to myself. Funny. One of the very poor students beside me asked if he could borrow a dollar or two to cover his burger and coke which would come out to about $12.50. I told him, "Dude, he's kidding get some food."

We ordered and ate and had a beer or two when the director came over to our table to sit down and chat and thank us for the excellent job we did. He also told us a funny story of how he ate shit in a parking lot trying to jump a small fence and hurt his leg. Then he looked us all square in the eyes and said that "the restaurant can't do $10 to even out the tabs so is $9 OK? Everyone cool with that?"

As my blood began to boil and the hair on my arms started to stand up I somehow kept my calm and just kind of glanced at him. We all just kind of shrugged and smiled as we didn't really know what to say. I had 5 qualified and unpaid students come down 30 minutes away (some driving their own vehicles), on a friday and saturday night, in the cold, in the rain, and working FOR FREE AND THIS SMUG MOTHER FUCKER WASN'T EVEN GOING TO BUY THEM A GODDAMN CHEESEBURGER AND A COKE. Did he expect us all to pay tabs for $1.23?! I got fucking angry.

After the director got up and walked off, I looked at my crew and said "Don't worry about it, you're covered, just sit tight, we're all good, everything's fine, you're not paying." I got out of the booth and grabbed the guy in charge of the private studio and pulled him aside. As we rounded the corner he joked about "YOU'VE GOT TEN DOLLARS! LOL!" I looked him in the eye and said "Dude, you have to take care of this, or I will." Being a good guy, he said "Fuck that guy, I've got this."

Studio guy stood up in front of everyone and says "If any of you have remaining balances on your tabs, I've got them covered. Thanks for working so hard and being such a great crew. You really made this happen." The balance came out of his pocket, and the director got up and angrily walked off.

After dinner and drinks I got back in the car with the studio guys and told them I was about to get me, them, and everyone else fired by cussing this dude out and screaming at him in the middle of a crowded restaurant by pointing out how much of an asshole he was, and that if he didn't take care of it I was probably just going to punch him. Studio guy jumps up in the front seat of the jeep and says he wished I would have.

:swear:

Hondo 7th December 2008 12:01

Re: i almost punched a director and got fired (The Return Of Shorty's Blog)

So really you got mad and almost hit him and almost got fired but didn't?

iczorro 7th December 2008 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondo (Post 253696)

Excellent summary. Now I don't have to read it.

Julius 7th December 2008 16:43

you're a stupid fucking idiot.

AnimalChin 7th December 2008 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondo (Post 253696)

yea i wrote this dumb thing first thing this morning you can delete it it's dumb

Rooflechicken 7th December 2008 22:11

still better than my night, but I did win some ipods

Julius 8th December 2008 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julius (Post 253702)
you're a stupid fucking idiot.

maladjusted 8th December 2008 09:49

0.00000000000000000000000000000000000013 / 999999999999999999999999999999999999

Phix 8th December 2008 09:51

Battle Royal to the Death for $10...

Shorty on his BMX bike: "I want my Ten Dollars..."

maladjusted 8th December 2008 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phix (Post 253784)
Battle Royal to the Death for $10...

Shorty on his BMX bike: "I want my Ten Dollars..."

No it was a dollar + tax.

[Porter]Seventy.[/Porter]

[Fairfax]What is it, the principle then?[/Fairfax]

Phix 8th December 2008 10:25

Joe: Hey, who didn't throw in?
Mr. Orange: Mr. Pink.
Joe: Mr. Pink? Why not?
Mr. Orange: He don't tip.
Joe: He don't tip? Whaddaya mean you don't tip?
Mr. Orange: He don't believe in it.
Joe: Shut up!

I was saying $10 cause he was standing up for himself and the 7 people on his "crew"

The least you can do is pitch in for the tip.

maladjusted 8th December 2008 10:36

oh yah but still

Hurrr I'm going to punch you for $10 hurr.

Shoulda just ponied up the $10 Shorty.

That would have been more crushing to the faggots

Phix 8th December 2008 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by maladjusted (Post 253795)
oh yah but still

Hurrr I'm going to punch you for $10 hurr.

Shoulda just ponied up the $10 Shorty.

That would have been more crushing to the faggots

Shorty could go work for Obama. He's shown skill at spending other people's money to cover his expenses.

AnimalChin 8th December 2008 20:07

it was the principle you fucking rednecks.

AnimalChin 8th December 2008 20:08

who;s got keg beer in the garage i do

who has 2 finals tomorrow i do

ahfuck

Rooflechicken 8th December 2008 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalChin (Post 253828)

I don't appreciate you lumping all these fuckers in my category

maladjusted 9th December 2008 02:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalChin (Post 253828)

Fairfaxed.

IlDente 9th December 2008 02:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalChin (Post 253829)
who;s got keg beer in the garage i do

who has 2 finals tomorrow i do

ahfuck

hahahah i never ever have to go to school agaihn

Phix 9th December 2008 09:06

Shorty: Director!
Director: My grandmother's sick. I gotta get out of here. I'll talk to you later. I can't. I gotta go do something.
Shorty: Where's my fucking money? You're fucking dead when I catch you, you piece of shit.
Studio Guy: Shorty, come here. What's the matter with this kid? Get over here.
Gianni: The kid wants his fucking money.
Shorty: He owes me money.
Gianni: Hit him with a fucking bat.
Studio Guy: Is that the advice you give your kid? Is that the advice? You fucking hoodlums. Come on. Don't listen to these hoodlums.

Studio Guy: What's the matter?
Shorty: This Director guy over here, you know, he owes me ten dollars. It's been two weeks now, and every time he sees me, he keeps dodging me. He's becoming a real pain in the ass, should I crack him one or what?
Studio Guy: What have I been telling you, sometimes hurting someone ain't the answer. First of all, is he a friend of yours?
Shorty: No, I don't even like him.
Studio Guy: You don't even like him. There's your answer right there. Look at it this way, it cost you ten dollars to get rid of him. Right? He's never gonna bother you again. He's never gonna ask you for money again. He's out of your life for ten dollars. You got off cheap. Forget about it.
Shorty: You're always right. You're always right.

bologna.com 9th December 2008 13:07

How Come I Got Wrote Out Of Teh Sequel?